How to Immigrate to Canada as a Chartered Accountant (CA)?

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Chartered Accountant (CA)?

Canada is trying to bridge the gap between supply and demand by inviting skilled foreign immigrants into the country. Thus, more and more people are immigrating to Canada under the Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP) of the Express Entry program. Through this Program, Canada can target specific occupations and businesses that are struggling to find a skilled employee for economic sustenance. Accountants job are among one of the most in-demand occupations.

Canada immigration as a Chartered Accountant (CA)

Also Read: Finance and Accounts Jobs in Canada for Indians

What Does it Mean to be a Chartered Accountant in Canada?

A Chartered Accountant plays a key role in advising the clients about taxation and help the businesses manage their finances by working in the background for them all the time. It is a steady profession that will always be in demand and will help thousands of others maintain their employment. The average salary of a Chartered Accountant in Canada is between the range of 63,000 CAD to 75,000 CAD.

Suppose a candidate is planning to immigrate to Canada as a Chartered Accountant. In that case, he/she should make sure that they have a justified educational background for employment as a Chartered Accountant in Canada. The primary job requirements are a bachelor’s degree in accountancy, economics, or any broader subject like Business administration.

For a managerial role, a master’s degree is also required. Further, internships and little experience will be an added advantage. Also, the Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) is the licensing and registration for a Chartered Accountant in Canada, which is a mandatory requirement for working as a Chartered Accountant in Canada.

The codes for the National Occupational Classification (NOC) are –

  • Financial Managers – NOC Code 0111 Skill type 0
  • Financial Auditors and Accountants – NOC Code 1111 Skill Type A

How to apply for a Permanent Residency(PR) status of Canada as a Chartered Accountant?

For a Chartered Accountant, the procedure of applying for a Permanent Residency(PR) status in Canada is the same as in any other profession. However, there are three most popular programs – Express Entry Program, Provincial Nominee Program(PNP), and Quebec Skilled Workers Program(QSWP).

For immigration as a skilled worker, the Express Entry program is the best way to immigrate. It has a sub-category, Federal Skilled Workers Program, which is the ideal sub-category for immigration as a Chartered Account. The Express Entry Program is an online filing system for the Permanent Residency(PR) status application. The candidate can immigrate to Canada in 6 months or even less than six months in some instances.

When you plan to immigrate to Canada, the provinces where there is a huge demand for Chartered Accountants are British Columbia, Ontario, and Alberta. Thus, the candidate should try and immigrate to these provinces, and for this, they can apply through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

How to become a Chartered Accountant in Canada?

The process to be a Chartered Accountant in Canada involves the following steps –

➡ Step 1 – Get the language test results
➡ Step 2 – Create a Profile – Express entry
➡ Step 3 – Enter the Express entry Pool
➡ Step 4- Meet the CRs score
➡ Step 5 – Get ITA
➡ Step 6 – Documentation
➡ Step 7 – File for PR

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 4

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.


  • If you are CA and planning to immigrate to Canada then you need to know that you need to take the CPA Professional Education Program to become a CA in Canada. It will include completing 30 months of relevant accounting experience. CPA PEP is a two year, part-time accounting program and has six modules. CPA evaluation will have both core and elective modules therefore, it is best if you meet with your CPA mentor semi-annually to discuss your progress and get assessed by a professional.

  • If you are a qualified and skilled CA professional from India who has certification from ICAI ( Institute of Chartered Accountants of India) then you can easily earn your Canadian CPA designation. The candidate can now go through the MOU pathway also, but it will lead to Certification only.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.